We’ve moved a lot of students in and out. A LOT. Moving is never fun, but it’s even worse when you leave it until the last minute. Now that another school year is winding down, we thought we’d get you thinking about your upcoming move with a few tips.
- If you read just one of our awesome tips (Although, why would you? We’re very charming and informative.), let it be this one … you have more stuff than you think you do, and moving that stuff will take longer than you think it will! Guaranteed, if you think it will take an hour or two to pack up your place, it will take 27! Similarly, if you think you can pack everything into your housemate’s KIA and get it done in one trip, you’re likely not a math major studying estimation and the law of probability. So, plan ahead and give yourself a lot of time!
- Get rid of things you don’t use. And be honest with yourself. If your salad spinner sat in the cupboard all year, it probably doesn’t need to make the trip with you. Designate DONATE, SELL and TRASH boxes before you start packing, and fill them up as you go.
- BOOK A MOVING TRUCK NOW!
- Label your boxes, so when you, your friends, and/or the movers carry stuff into your new place, they drop it in the right spot.
- Stock up on rubber bands, zip ties and tape! Trust us.
- Pack an overnight bag. Chances are once you get where you’re going, you’re not going to want to dive right into the unpacking. So, make sure you have a bag with your overnight essentials (pjs, change of clothes, shower stuff, phone charger, etc.) within arms reach.
There are so many genius moving hacks online, and we’ll be posting some to our social accounts in the coming weeks. But if you follow these trusty tips, you’ll be well on your way to a stress-free move. Oh, and BOOK A MOVING TRUCK NOW!